2012/12/07

Arduino Uno on Windows 8 without disabling driver signing

I tried to install my Arduino Uno under Windows 8 today.  The included drivers do not work because they are not signed.  One way people get them to work is to temporarily disable the check on driver signing as seen here.  I was able to do it without rebooting or using unsigned drivers.   Here is how:

  1. First plug in your Uno and let the driver installation fail.  
  2. Open the device manager, click start and then type device manager. 
  3. Right click on the yellow Arduino Uno and choose update driver software. 
  4. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
  5. Then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  6. Click modem and then next.
  7. In the list, under manufactuer, choose Compaq.  Then for model choose "Ricochet Wireless USB Modem"
  8. When Windows complains, it is OK, choose to continue and the close the installer after it completes.
  9. Now under modems, you will see "Ricochet Wireless USB Modem", right click on it and choose properties.
  10. Under modem, set the maximum speed to 9600.
  11. On the advanced tab, click "Advanced Port Settings"
  12. Uncheck use FIFO buffers
  13. Note the COM Port Number, you will need this in the Arduino IDE
  14. Click OK, and click OK.
  15. Done

I was able to figure this out by looking at the existing Arduino Uno drivers and noted that they do not install a driver but provide device id's that use the usbser.sys.  I looked through c:\windows\inf and found this device uses the same driver.  Because it is a modem driver, Windows will treat it exactly like a COM port unless you try to use dialup software.  You most likely will not be dialing up with an Arduino.


8 comments:

  1. You doesn't have to change baudrate - And I think it's safer to leave 115200 as max, because Arduino IDE use 115200 to transfer sketches, but when some sketch needs slower rates it's possible to achieve without changing anything in device settings. But big plus for you for finding that device drivers are compatible with arduino Uno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works really well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I suffered the same Arduino UNO R3 upload problem.
    I tried to follow your steps to update the Ricochet wireless USB modem driver for my WIN 8 PC. Unfortunately, it suffered installation fail at the final step. Did you suffer this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, finally I can use my new Arduino.
    I was worried that I would have to wait for a update or change some complicated system settings or so, but this works really well.
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This did not work with my computer can you please tell me how I can fix it or un do all the changes I've just made?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. What knowledge was needed to figure this out ? Every time I think I'm a power user I realize I'm not w/o the help of the internet to find articles like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank's from Hungary! I made the hard work on another way, and not work. Your way is fine, and work, thank's!

    ReplyDelete